Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Does the Ombudsmanhave any interest in dubious practice of

Customer Question

Does the Ombudsmanhave any interest in dubious practice of firms such as "Aim Review"

purporting to asssist the gullible and elderly to gain return of supposedly mis-sold ppi ?

This particularly when inititiated by a persuasive telephone call suggesting ones credit card

could be subject to it and ringing back 20 minutes to confirm the possibility of some

thousands of pounds. A fee of £250 for their membership was returnable in the event of

failure to save at least that. When 3 months later it was clear no such mis-selling could

be established I had to await end of year of membership before such refund could be

"considered". Needless to say a single "Arbitrator" for the company came the time,

decided " I had not met criteria of my terms of membership "
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to JustAnswer.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, and I can answer your question this evening.

tdlawyer :

If, when you signed up to their terms and conditions, you agreed that the money was only refundable the end of year in the circumstances set out, it is unlikely that the financial ombudsman service would be of any real assistance to you here. Your complaint is more about their practices generally.

tdlawyer :

The appropriate regulatory body would be the Financial Conduct Authority (the FCA) that reviews the conduct of firms acting within the financial services sector. However, the FCA may feel that this is more a simple debt recovery company, raher than one engaging within the financial services ctor, and as such, it does not have jurisdiction over it.

tdlawyer :

It would, however, be the FCA rather than the Financial Ombudsman that would have jurisdiction, if any, over this.

tdlawyer :

You're more likely route to obtaining satisfaction about this, is there a complaint your local trading standards department and/or the Ministry of Justice, if the firm itself, is a regulated claims handling firm.

tdlawyer :

Is there anything you would like to ask me about this?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.