Vincent2013
Vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
74366787

My neighbours bamboo is coming through into our garden. We

Customer Question

My neighbour's bamboo is coming through into our garden. We have a concrete garden with a swimming pool. My fear is the damage it will cause if it comes through the pool. I have spoken to them about it with no avail. What should I do next?
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.

Can you first tell me, when you say bamboo, are you referring to a live plant that is growing into your garden or a bamboo fence that is being displaced into your grden?

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is a tall live plant just on their side of the fence

Thanks very much for that Norma.

Under English law, you are legally entitled to cut back this sort of vegetation, both roots and branches, to the extent that it encroaches upon your land. Although it may sound strange, once you have done this you must return the cut vegetation to your neighbour.

When cutting the bamboo back, just be careful not to exceed the boundary line as this can be deemed trespass on you part (and possibly criminal damage).

However, so long as you only cut back to the boundary line, such action is entirely lawful.

Does that answer your question. If so, please do remember to rate my answer, as this is how the website credits me for my work. Our conversation won't close and please don't hesitate to ask me any follow up questions you have.