Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

been in an accident, 1 month after taking out insurance I got

Customer Question

been in an accident, 1 month after taking out insurance I got 3 points forgot to tell insurance company where do I stand
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

When did the insurance policy start? When was the accident? Have you made a claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Policy started 1st July though I had it sorted on the 21st June, Got speeding ticket (SP30) on 24th June, and sorted the fine out w/c 8th July, I then went away on business for 5 weeks (I work offshore). I was involved in an accident 1st September which was my fault (I slid off my motorbike which then collided with a car) no one hurt including myself, meant to tell insurance company of additional points but forgot I have 3 points in my license (SP30) dated 10/02/11 which the insurance company know about. As you can imagine my horror when I realised that I had omitted to tell my insurers which I have still to speak to really concerned as to my postion

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks for the additional information. You should inform the insurance company of the new points if you have not done so already as non-disclosure is a ground to refuse indemnity. The best way of avoiding such a step is to be completely honest about your mistake and pay any additional premiums that may arise. The insurance company could get difficult but they can only refuse to cover the claim if you acted in bad faith. So long as you can persuade them that this was an honest oversight then everything should be fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your answer what would is the definition of bad faith? At the time of renewing my policy I had 3 points, I basically had my insurance done and dusted on the 21st including payment, and looking back at my records got the N.I.P on the 4th and finally paid the fine on the 11th

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Bad faith means acting dishonestly.

In insurance contracts you are expected to act in good faith before and after the insurance contract is made.

In other words you should act honestly in your dealings with the insurance company.

Therefore, deliberate non-disclosure of a material fact, such as points for a new offence, is acting in bad faith.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.