12826847

just recieved a letter from soliciters dealing with a company

Customer Question

just recieved a letter from soliciters dealing with a company that we purchased a holiday home from on the south coast at Earnley near Chichester. About 10 months ago we had to give up the chalet as we could no longer afford the ground rent that increased every year to the point that we didnt know what to do next , so we decided having paid nearly £.20.000 for it to return the keys and told the site owners that was it.Rental had dropped of to the point we had to sell our car to meet the ground rent for 2012 which comes out at nearly £6.000 a year including council tax . Now we are being threatend with court proceeding if we dont pay the ground rent for this year within 14 days of reciept of there letter dated 31/08/2013
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day today.

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

What are the terms of cancellation?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i think i will have to send you the lease agreement for your perusal with thanks james xxxxx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

as far as i can see i have to offer them the bungalow at a price the minimum i will accept they will then buy it from me i have complied with there demands i wrote and told them i was surrendering the chalet sent them the keys gave them my reasons for taking this course of action 8 months ago now they are threatening me with bankruptcy if i dont pay up this years site fees they have the chalet why havnt they sold it and got there money that way with thanks james xxxxx

What does the contract say about surrender of the lease?