Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Does a private members club need a license .

Customer Question

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is AJ and I will assist you today.

The act of actually being a private members club does not require a licence. It is the same as being a society or company. You pick the structure and then have a members charter or articles of association.

There maybe some activities associated with the members club that require a licence, permission or insurance?

For example will it have its own premises?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I should have worded my question correctly . Does a private members club need to employ a member of staff with a personal license to sell alcohol?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

To answer your question the answer is yes.

The relevant legislation is s1 of the Licensing Act 2003.

The only time you won't need a licence more or less for certain is when giving alcohol to friends or family in your home.

S136 of the 2003 act lists the offence you will commit. If convicted you can be committed to prison for six months or fines £20k.

Can I be of any further assistance?

AJ