75100385

This is a strange on. We had a tennat living with us who had

Customer Question

This is a strange on. We had a tennat living with us who had a cat they moved out 11 monhs ago and want their cat back. We have looked after it and fed it. Do they have rights to it now? Or can we leggally keep the cat we grown to love?

AlexWatts2013 : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
AlexWatts2013 : Did they give the cat to you or forget to take it?
JACUSTOMER-50f4gzaz- : They. Left the house took al the stuff and left the cat. I moved house in december and texted them asked if they wanted the cat she then said she couldn't take it. In the last week I have had abusive messages saying she wants the cat. We have paid for all food and vet bills and my young daughter looked after the cat. Even when the woman was there she was away every weekend and we looked after cat she didn't ask she just left it. So the cat has now been with us for 2 years. 11 months of that without owner being in touch.
JACUSTOMER-50f4gzaz- : the cat was a kitten when the woman brought it to our house. This is just very hard. She also walked out on a dog but she doesn't want that she kept that locked in her room and nearly starved it. So I took to the vets and was very ill. The cat has only ever know us and very hurt this woman could do this.
AlexWatts2013 :

In that case the cat belongs to you. You asked if she wanted the Cat and she said she could not take it. I assume she never said you can look after it temporarily or that she would be back to collect it. If not then it is your cat, you now own it.

AlexWatts2013 :

She can be abusive as she wants and even if she tries to take the matter to Court the Judge will want to know if she was that bothered about the Cat why did she leave it 11 months.

AlexWatts2013 :

There is no excuse and unless she said it was a temporary thing you can keep the cat.

AlexWatts2013 :

Can I clarify anything about this for you today please? Alex