How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi, we own 9 properties with mortgages and want to pass on

Customer Question

Hi, we own 9 properties with mortgages and want to pass on part of the asset to our adult children. what is the best way to do this. My husband has cancer and wants to avoid the 7 year inheritence issue and the houses will need remortgaging in a few years.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  joannem1965 replied 3 years ago.
are these interest only mortgages?
Will the children be able to take on the mortgages?
What equity is in the properties?
are they in joint names with you?
if not, why does he not simply transfer them into joint names with you?
Have you consulted the lenders about this?
Can we have the full background details please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - yes the mortgages are interest only.


In theory the children could take on the mortgages although some lenders were not happy as they had not had a mortgage prior to this venture.


Joint names currently with my husband and myself


currently own about 40%. 8 houses are BTL on AST with sound tenants. Houses purchase from 1997 to 2003 with our last one being our main home purchased in 2011.


Are you saying we could add our 2 children onto the deeds. If this is the case then doesnt a capital gain arise on the transfer?

The houses are all based in England.

Expert:  joannem1965 replied 3 years ago.
If your query is about capital gains, I will need to transfer this to UK tax because I do not know enough capital gains tax legislation to be able to answer other than to say that for the children’s tax purposes, the acquisition price with a value of their share at the time of acquisition.
You say that you are worried about inheritance tax in the initial question. If the properties are in joint names, there is no inheritance tax between husband and wife so when your husband eventually passed away, there will be no inheritance tax to pay.
The children cannot take over the properties or have them transferred into their names without taking on the liability of the mortgage and they cannot be transferred into joint names unless the lender agrees to add them to the mortgages. That may be a liability that the children do not want and the children may not be good enough for the lenders purposes. In that respect, would need to ask the lender but I would not expect a particularly positive response in the current economic market for buy to lets.
Can I assist further?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice