Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

i am my brothers next of kin he does have a daughter who is

Customer Question

i am my brothers next of kin he does have a daughter who is 20 he is in hospital on life support what are her rights and mine
Expert:  Vincent2013 replied 4 years ago.

Vincent2013 :

Hi, thanks for your question and I'm very sorry to heare about your current situation. My name's Vincent and I'm going to assist you with it.

Vincent2013 :

Could I please first confirm that your question relates to the giving and possible withdrawal (at the appropriate time) of medical treatment.

JACUSTOMER-kagwv12d- :

yes

Vincent2013 :

Thanks very much for that. There is somewhat of a misconception in the UK regarding next of kin and the requirment for his/her/their consent with regard to the giving (or withdrawing) of medical treatment.

Vincent2013 :

In England and Wales, no one (including family members) can consent to the giving or withdrawal of medical treatment in relation to another adult. In situations (like your brother's), where a patient does not have the capacity to give consent himself, the medical professional is obliged to treat the patient in accordance with the best interests of the patient and good medical practice.

Vincent2013 :

Nevertheless, what usually happens is that the doctor who has care of the patient will usually discuss any key decisions (including any information regarding the patient's wishes) with the family prior to action being taken.

Vincent2013 :

Can I help you with anything else? If not, please do take a moment to rate my anwser and best wishes with everything.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.