75100385

Hi I signed 6 months rent contract. However, I would like

Customer Question

I signed 6 months rent contract. However, I would like to leave early before the end of the contact.

about this matter, The contract doesn't say any thing abut leaving early accept for one line stating that it should be between me and the landlord,?

what does the law say in this case?

AlexWatts2013 :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return

AlexWatts2013 :

The law says that you are tied into 6 months, this is because this is the fixed term which is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy as per the Housing Act 1988.

AlexWatts2013 :

This means in law and in contract you are bound to stay for 6 months and this means in law that you can not end the contract early.

AlexWatts2013 :

If you do end the contract early you would be liable to pay the Landlord for the remaining term in the property OR until he finds new tenants to take your place. If he does then your liability then ends.

AlexWatts2013 :

But until he finds new tenants to the end of the 6 months you are liable for the rent.

AlexWatts2013 :

I know this will not be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you but I do have a duty to be honest.

AlexWatts2013 :

Can I clarify anything else for you about this today please? Alex

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

Thanks a lot

AlexWatts2013 : You are welcome. Unless I can assist further can I invite you to take a moment to rate my service. Please remember you are not rating whether or not it was the answer you wanted, but my service to you.
JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

but what f I was not a ware of this law..as I new to the country and the agency didn't inform me!

AlexWatts2013 : It makes no difference you are legally bound. Alex
JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

but alex

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

in the contract it is says the fallowing statement

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

"Early release from the tenancy (subject to the landlord's consent) (reasonable fees incurred by the landlord"

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

when I sigu=ned the contract the agency didn't not inform me that by the law I canot break the contratct . they mentined the above stamnt in the contract and I sigen on it

AlexWatts2013 : If you signed a contract for a minimum term you are generally bound by it. But the contract states you are bound by a minimum term. If it does not say this then it could be argued that you are not by reason of the Consumer Regulations 1999 above.
JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

sorru about the spelling mistakes

when I signed the contract, the agency didn't not inform me that by the law I cannot break the contract . they mentioned the above statement in the contract and I signed on that. by the way I am an international student

AlexWatts2013 : If it says there is a minimum term in the contract then by law you are bound by it. If it says this contract is for 6 months you can not leave early. There does not need to be a clause in that states you can not break early.
AlexWatts2013 : But what the contract must have is a minimum term.
AlexWatts2013 : i realise this may not be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest.
JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

what about the statement which I sent above? mentioning that early release is subject to landlord's consent...act

AlexWatts2013 : Yes the landlord can consent but you are reliant upon him, he can and could refuse.
JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

but it say the fees should be reasonable

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

I ma ready to pay

JACUSTOMER-5r8fsj43- :

but not am not ready to pay all the rent as I thought no one explain for me the situation her. I should claim to the agency

AlexWatts2013 : Yes I agree and that is where regulation 5 comes in.
AlexWatts2013 : If the contract states a minimum term then you are liable for this in absence of the landlord consent.