Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

i was sacked from edf energy and have gone back for appeal

Customer Question

i was sacked from edf energy and have gone back for appeal which they adjourned but i have been offered a job elsewhere but i am concerned that they would give me a bad reference after 30 years service are they allowed to say i was sacked ?

Ben Jones : Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What were you sacked for?
JACUSTOMER-8asvu80f- :

hello ben i was sacked on the cause of probability iwas waiting for a friend near a building site and there was some builders working there digging up the ground i was just walking round talking to them .unknown to me they were trying to connect onto edf network cable but i think when i turned up in my van they must have got spooked .the nested think i new i was pulled into the office approx 1 month later suspended .

Ben Jones :

Whilst there is no legal obligation on employers to provide a reference for past employees, if they choose to do so they will automatically owe them a duty to take reasonable care in the preparation of the reference. This basically requires the employer to be accurate in the contents of the reference and ensure it is based on facts, rather than personal opinion.

Certain difficulties may arise, depending on the circumstances that have led to a particular reference. For example, in the case of Bartholomew v London Borough of Hackney the court decided that the employer was not in breach of its duty of care to the employee by providing a reference which contained details of disciplinary proceedings which were pending when the employee left. An employer is under a duty of care to provide a reference that is true, accurate and fair and does not present facts so as to give a misleading impression overall. Therefore, if the employer had not included details of the disciplinary proceedings it would have failed in its duty to the prospective employer to provide a reference that was not unfair or misleading.

In the later case of Cox v Sun Alliance Life Ltd it was decided that an employer will be negligent in providing a reference that refers to an employee’s misconduct unless the employer had carried out an investigation and had reasonable grounds for believing that the misconduct had taken place.

If some of the above conditions are met, the employer is unlikely to be acting unlawfully or negligently and can provide the reference in question. However, if it is obvious that incorrect facts have been relied on, the contents are false or evidently misleading, there may be a potential case for negligence against the employer and this matter could be taken further by seeking compensation due to negligence in the civil courts.

Ben Jones :

Please let me know if this has answered your query or if you need me to clarify anything else for you in relation to this?

Ben Jones :

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.