Hi, We have completed a bathroom & cloakroom installation,

Customer Question

We have completed a bathroom & cloakroom installation, customer has already emailed to say that the job is complete but she is not willing to pay her final balance, her reasons remain unknown apart from she thought the job over-ran, it took 6 weeks to complete. They also keep saying that during the installation they had no choice but to book themselves into a hotel as the house was inhabitable. This was never discussed with me prior to them booking the room. I have explained that we agreed that by a certain stage in the installation they would have washing/toilet facilities i.e. bath & WC. They say that there was electric cables hanging dangerously in the house that her 8 year old daughter could pull and injure herself. This was not the case, the electric cables were not live which he knew and they weren't hanging dangerously, this were the 1st fix electrics, so cables will be on show but not live or in the way.
I'm not sure where to go with this, hope you can advise. The final balance is £1300
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Was there an agreed time of completion from the beginning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, they keep saying that I said 3 weeks but this is untrue, they have no proof of this

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

If there is no proof or justification for keeping paying back you should write and ask for full payment within 14 days or say that you will take the matter to Court. Make sure you send this letter recorded delivery and keep a copy. If the customer refuses then you can issue proceedings in the County Court for the debt which you can either do online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim and your customer will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce it. If the matter is defended it will be set down for a hearing and a Judge will decide who wins. Given the value it would be a small claim and you can represent yourself, you do not need a Solicitor.

Can I clarify anything about this for you today please? Alex

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password XXXXX you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I sent the 14 demand letter dated Friday 13th September asking for the final balance to be paid. I have received an e-mail from the client acknowledging the letter with a long message about why they shouldn't pay.

Do I respond to this email or should I just wait until the 14 days are up

before filing a claim form on-line.

I would wait until the 14 days are up then take the steps above by issuing proceedings.

Please do remember to rate my service. Thanks. Alex

If I could invite you to rate my service before you leave today, hopefully it has been excellent. If you do need more help or information please click reply. Thanks – Alex.