75100385

is there a time limit when a tenant can claim back a deposit

Customer Question

is there a time limit when a tenant can claim back a deposit from a landlord I have heard it is three months. The time has passed for the free resolution service so will i need to go to the small claims court

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : What type of tenancy did you have and was the deposit protected please? Have you asked the Landlord for return, why has he refused? Please note I am on and offline this morning a I am at court but will respond when I am out.
JACUSTOMER-6xjsll7v- :

protected on mydeposit .com but the time line for a free reveiw of three months has expired the agreement has expired but i have left debts as the propertyfor several thousand pounds ir gas electricity etc the landlord is saying it is stopping him getting a tennant

Alex Watts : In law t
Alex Watts : In law it must be returned within 10 days.
Alex Watts : You should thefore apply to the scheme to have it released. Otherwise you can issue a claim in the county court.
Alex Watts : To confirm the position and guidance please see https://www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/overview
Alex Watts : Therefore apply to the scheme direct to have it returned and this should get you your money back.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this for you please? Alez
If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex