12826847

I had an old Royal Life policy from 1985 1986 which I ceased

Customer Question

I had an old Royal Life policy from 1985 1986 which I ceased paying premiums when I returned to Ireland in 1986. I wrote to them in 2008 and company is now called Phoenix. They wrote back saying transfer value was about 70 k sterling and there has been annual reviews and updates and these confirm no premiums were being paid, and values increased each year to 133 k sterling. After a serious RTA I instructed a financial advisor to pull my different policys together as I am now disabled and cannot work again . Phoenix wrote to him confirming transfer value. Only this week and after problems contacting them, after my name was removed from their systems, and letters they said were posted did not arrive. We rang and they said value is now 8k sterling and send some ID etc. Clerical error was explanation. I am annoyed at being misled for so many years ,and wonder what can I do. My solicitor in Dublin says tyake the 8 k and cvomplain to ombudsman in UK. I am available at XXXXXXXXXXXXX [email protected] . Thank you Roger XXXXXXX

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Do you have a specific question?