Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Can a pre nuptial agreement effectively deal potential future

Customer Question

Can a pre nuptial agreement effectively deal potential future assets (i.e gift or inheritance) to be treated as separate property.
Expert:  James Mather replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you provide a bit more background to your situation? Have you already signed one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it is a pre marital question. The is a likely-hood that one partner will receive an inheritance in the future, which where possible should be treated as separate property in the event of a divorce. Both parties already have their own individual assets prior to marriage, and there are (and will not be) any children in the future.

I am going to refer this to another expert. No need to do anything as someone will be along shortly
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

A Pre nuptial agreement can indeed deal with future Inheritances as part of the agreement that you make
Claire

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.