Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

I have a business lease on a shop.I have written to the landlords

Customer Question

I have a business lease on a shop.
I have written to the landlords three times requesting sighting of the service charge accounts. They have sent me last years budget. I've quoted the the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, in Section 153. But they have not responded and refuse to talk about it.
I believe they are abusing the service charge accounts.
What can I do? I believe I can start proceedings? Can I do this myself?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Why do you believe they are abusing the account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last year the landlords spent somewhere in the region of £2000 on hanging baskets and flowers.

They signage which would bring shoppers from the front of the arcade was never delivered, even though it was minuted as being on order for months.

During the winter months the communal lighting was so poor that the arcade looked closed after 3pm. Male staff escorted female staff to their cars.

There were no no smoking signs. The CCTV system was in operation but there were no signs. The covered arcade roof leaked.

We had regular tenants meetings until November when the landlords said they were unwilling to attend any further meetings as they were not interested in our "moaning".

We were never consulted about any repairs.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I am going to opt out of this for another
expert. The thread will now open to all experts. There is no need for you to do
anything and please don't not reply otherwise it comes back into my inbox.
Another expert, with the suitable expertise, will be along shortly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your time!

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
The thread is now open to all experts but we are all on and offline all day with clients so a suitable expert might not be along till later