75100385

I live in a small Vicorian house divided into two flats. My

Customer Question

I live in a small Vicorian house divided into two flats. My upstairs neighbour is a sitting tenant and has been resident for many years. The tenancy agreement was lost during the time when her father lived there and then directly passed to her. The property has been owned by three different landlords since I bought my flat in 1997. Maintenance on the building is minimal and primarily driven by me. My neighbour has wooden floors and no carpets. She is an insomniac and walks around in high heel boots no matter what time of day or night. There is no soundproofing and I can hear her conversations easily without her raising her voice. Can you tell me whether the landlord of the property is obliged to update the property by providing carpeting/soundproofing or does that responsibility rest with me?
Catherine

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : Is there anything in the tenancy agreement that states must have carpet? Note I am on my way back from court and may be on and offline