tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience of general practice.
73598664

I live in a large converted Victorian mansion with ten residents.

I live in a large converted Victorian mansion with ten residents. We have a parking area that has a fire hydrant on one of the parking spaces. What is the law re parking over this area, ie, is it illegal or just stupid?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello.

tdlawyer :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you have a leasehold?

Customer:

Yes, 999 years from 2007.

tdlawyer :

Okay. There is no specific law that states you must park a certain distance from fire hydrants. However, there have to be regular fire inspection risk assessments carried out for some leasehold premises in multiple occupation, and the outcome of that might dictate what rules the management company ought to put in place for the benefit of the estate. It might be that this is considered a risk that is abatable by parking a certain distance away, and as such, the management company may be entitled to make rules preventing parking with a certian distance.

tdlawyer :

However, if you have a parking space and there is a hydrant on it, then the management company/landlord is unlikely to be able to prevent you parking over or next to the hydrant because this would be in breach of your lease of the parking space.

tdlawyer :

Therefore it's not the best idea to park over or near one, and ultimately if it is needed, then the car near/over it will be removed by the fire brigage forcibly if necessary anyway.