13262538

my niece is 13 and her mum is refusing to let her live back

Customer Question

my niece is 13 and her mum is refusing to let her live back home if there is no where else for her to go who's responsibility (social services?) is she and is this child abandonment
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Is there a reason for this refusal? Where is the child staying now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi she is staying with us at the moment as social services asked us to look after her, she told her nan and police her mum hit her although the police have found nothing to substantiate this claim. she was with her nan with three weeks but she couldnt cope as our niece took 2 od's and ran away once! our niece is related as her dads brother is my husband, social services asked us to look after her as there was nowhere else for her to go to. she has been with us for a week but my disabled husband is finding it hard to deal with, she is sleeping in our front room as we have no spare bedrooms!

all help gratefully recieved

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

dad cant look after her as a drug user

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Just let me summarise the facts.

The child's mother does not want
the 13-year-old child back for whatever reason.

The child has been living with
you and you can no longer cope.

The child's natural father is a
drug user and is incapable of looking after her.

No one else wants to look after
the child?

Is that the situation?

i
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you.
If her mother will not have her back then it is up to Social Service sto take over her care - either under a Section 20 (voluntary) Agreement signed by the Mother - or via Care Proceedings.
The Current arrangements are not suitable and you should insist that Social Services provide appropriate accommodation for her.
Technically the mother could be charged with Abandonment - but this will not happen given the child's age
I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details
Claire
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes thats right there is no one else

You have done everything that you can - please do not allow Social Services to push you further
Claire