Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
Is the family unwilling to carry out her wish?
I am not sure. She has a half brother living, and four other half syblings who have died. The half brother is her nearest living relative, and she has no spouse, civil partner, children or patents. Doe this make the half brother next of kin?
The letter isn't legally bindingand she is deemed to have died intestate.
I assume that it doesn't have allthe legal formalities such as witnesses etc.
There are no grounds for charities(which can be a pain the backside in contesting wills) to contest this
Does that answer the question?
Can I assist further?
Please do not forget topositively rate my answer service or the site keep your deposit and I get nocredit for my time.
The thread does remain open forus to continue this exchange even though the site gives you the impression thatit will close. It does not
The solicitor my husband saw told him they charities could make a claim because of the circumstances of her death. The note is not witnessed, and I understand not even signed. Are you sure it is not the case that the named beneficiaries could contest the division of the estate amongst the family?
Charities can only contestsomething if they know about it and I cannot see that they have any claimwhatsoever just because someone committed suicide.
On the contrary, if someone diesand leaves a will, leaving everything to non-family members, the will can becontested by the family members for a whole variety of reasons including lackof mental capacity, or undue influence, failure to comply with the provisionsof the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependents Act or fraud.
Of course, we cannot know everysingle case or every single matter that is have been before the court willbased upon all the knowledge I have, the charities have no claim.
By all means see Chancery Counseland expect to pay about £600 plus VAT for an advice.
The rules of intestacy are here http://www.graysons.co.uk/wills-intestacy.html
and from what you say, as she left no spouse or parent's or brothers ofthe whole blood, the estate would be distributed in line with the sixth boxdown on the top table in the link which means that everything would go to thehalf brothers including those who've died. The ones who have died, their 20%share will go to their children.
Yes it does make the half brother the next of kin but he does onlyinherit 20% as the other 80% goes to the children of the ones who have died,20% to each deceased parents children, divided equally