I have informed my landlord that my neighbors cigarette smoke

Customer Question

I have informed my landlord that my neighbors cigarette smoke is getting into my home and stinking me out, I have told them how to fix the problem.
And in almost ten weeks they have done nothing to fix it, where do I stand regarding sueing them.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you explain your situation a bit more please? Who are you hoping to sue? How do you expect the problem to be fixed? How is the smoke getting into your home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My neighbour smokes in his bathroom although there is extraction it only works on condensation so not as a smoke extractor, so the smoke is getting into the cavity and through my extractor into my bathroom and kitchen, and from there into all other rooms in my home.

I hate the smell and see it has an hazard to my health, you know the anti smoking law's I expected my landlord to jump on this problem to solve it but they have not.

This problem is solved by replacing the fan with a proper extraction fan with a piece of tubing behind the fan to the outside wall, stopping smoke from getting into the cavity.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
How much will it cost to fix?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The problem should not be what it cost's to fix, it's an health hazard to me.

Don't bother replying to this, I'm going to seek advice from a local solicitor, I think I've wasted my time and money not talking to a UK legal adviser.