Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice

Ebay announced today that their final value fees are extending

Ebay announced today that their final value fees are extending to postage and packaging fees... so they are essentially taking 15% (in most cases), of the P&P charges the seller is charging to the buyer.. Given ebay is not posting the item, how can this be legal?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you provide the precise wording used in the change of P & P regarding this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

05 August, 2013 | 11:54AM BST

From 4 September, final value fees for all private sellers will change, as well as insertion fees for private sellers with a Basic Shop on

Final value fees change for all private sellers

Final value fees will be charged based on the combined value of the item listed plus postage. For example, if an item sells for £20 with postage cost of £4, the final value fee will be charged based on the combined value of £24. This will not apply if the listing offers collection only.

Insertion fees changes for private sellers with a Basic Shop

Private sellers with a Basic Shop subscription will not pay insertion fees on their first 200 listings per month. This is an increase from the previous 20 listings. Insertion fees for subsequent listings will be £0.20 for all categories - media items will no longer be priced differently.

Additionally, insertion fees for auction-style listings will be reduced and the number of bands will go down to two.

Auction-style listings with a starting price between £0.01 and £0.99 will still receive the monthly 100 free insertion fee allowance. From the 101 st listing, the insertion fee will be £0.05 for all categories including media (a change from £0.05 for media and £0.10 for all other categories).

For listings with a starting price above £1.00, the number of starting price bands will reduce from five to one. These items will be charged an insertion fee of £0.15 for all categories.

These changes will simplify the fees for sellers, allowing you to list more fixed price items at no additional cost and experiment with selling higher value items in auction format.

The eBay Team

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just don't see how this is legal?!! They are not posting the item, so how can they justify taking a %?? It's a small amount of money, but given the volume of transactions going through ebay, it adds up to a lot of $$$$$

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

You will find is in eBay's transaction terms and conditions that
you agreed to when you joined the site, there are allowed to change their terms
from time to time.

This will only impact on buyers because those sellers who were
charging a reasonable postage charge (long standing bone of contention with
eBay and some buyers) will simply increase the charges to take account of the
final value fee.

By all means take them to court for breach of contract but do
remember that they are based in Luxembourg and sewing an organisation in
Luxembourg under Luxembourg law is not really a practical proposition unless
tens of thousands of pounds are at stake.

It is worth doing in all honesty because in actual fact, millions
of pounds are at stake but it would need all sellers to bring a class-action, or,
all sellers to simply stop listing things for a fortnight. The problem is that
no one will do that. Even 100 people together to spread the cost in a class
action, the other million people who did not risk any money, still get the
benefit of any court proceedings.

EBay has changed the way the world shops and unfortunately, until
there is an alternative they dictate the terms.

I have over 1000 transactions on eBay so have seen the rules
change over the last 12 or 13 years. They started making people specify actual
postage cost some time ago and I strongly suspect that it was in anticipation
of this

You could refer it to the Monopolies Commission

I am sorry, I wish that I could give you better news or a more
positive answer but I cannot.

It really is a case of voting with your feet.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that
impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and weekends
so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice