29905560

My 17 year old has been offered a childcare apprenticeship

Customer Question

My 17 year old has been offered a childcare apprenticeship with a private nursery. She is being paid the national minimum wage of £2.65 an hour. However, her hours seem very long. 0800 to 1730 , 5 days a week with one hour break. So 42 & half hours a week. Does this seem right ? also she has been asked to sign a contract binding her to the nursery for 2 years. First year while she gains the qualification & second year employed but still on minimum wage. If she chooses to leave, she has to pay fees up to £1250 depending on when she leaves. Is this legal ?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Please note that as a practising solicitor I am often in and out of meetings, travelling, or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at evenings and weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance if there is a slight delay in getting back to you. Rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will respond ASAP. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email as soon as I have responded. For now please let me know if the fees cover the qualtification?

JACUSTOMER-qa5jf5t6- :

Not sure what you mean by do the fees cover the qualification ?

JACUSTOMER-qa5jf5t6- :

Sorry I did need an immediate answer as she starts work on monday, apologies

Ben Jones :

Hello, please let me know what the fees of £1250 would be for? Has the employer provided details?