Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE

I own a static cvn on a site Ive been on for 16yrs. the cvn

Customer Question

I own a static cvn on a site I've been on for 16yrs. the cvn roof leaked and my husband asked the site to repair it. We then received a bill for £362 + for two men spending half an hour sticking duct tape on the seam! When I queried this I was sent a letter showing that the materials cost £20 the rest.... ££300+ for travel expenses and hourly paid wages for the men to travel from Exeter to Perran Sands Holiday Park. Whilst the business has been going on they have also been adding interest to the bill!!!
I have now received a letter from the Ops Director saying that my husband was told the men were from Exeter, BUT he was not told we would be paying their fare and wages from Exeter.I would so appreciate your advice as I think this is outrageous.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is AJ I will assist you today.

Do their terms and conditions say they can claim interest?

Did you agree a cost of £150 per hour for labour?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Their terms and conditions allow them to add interest on unpaid bills but this dispute was ongoing so it should have been suspended. Also we certainly did not agree to that hourly rate. It just appeared on the bill.
Also they say that they tried twice to ring my husband on his mobile and sent a text. My husband did not receive these msgs as he was not in possession of his mobile but the site carried on with the repair regardless without informing us of the cost.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Do the terms and conditions say that interest must be suspended because of a dispute?

Your options are as follows:
1. Pay the money. When you send it say that it is being paid under protest. You would then have to recover some of the money at the county court.

2. Write to the caravan as follows:
- you deny you ever accepted their charges;
- the charging of interests and demand of payment is unreasonable and potentially unlawful harassment under s40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970.
- if they continue to you chase you, you reserve the right to take the matter to Trading Standards.

Ultimately you will have to pay something as you engaged these people. Do you have a figure that you believe is fair? Say the travel costs plus materials plus £50 per hour?

I look forward to hearing from you.