13262538

Can the solicitor of the person making the will be executor

Customer Question

Can the solicitor of the person making the will be executor and witness to the same will?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Thank you for your question
My name is Claire and I shall do my best to help you.
Yes this is indeed possible - and is in fact not uncommon - although if the Solicitor is also a Partner in the Firm it is less likely as it can compromise their ability to charge for acting as Executor
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further help
Claire