Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator

i have to pay royalties to a producer based on my sales but

Customer Question

i have to pay royalties to a producer based on my sales but one of my customers went into administration - do I still legally have to pay the royalty for the sales from this customer?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : What does your contract state about this?
JACUSTOMER-385molsg- :

I am not sure that the producer's contract covers this eventuality but I will be able to check tomorrow.

Alex Watts : Please and let me know.
JACUSTOMER-385molsg- :

I have not been paid for the sale in this instance so am i legally expected to pay the royalty in this case?

Alex Watts : You need to check the wording - whether it states on the sale itself, or on whether you get paid.
Alex Watts : So check the wording - because it
Alex Watts : if it says on a sale then you would be liable.
Alex Watts : If it says on payment then you would be liable when you get paid.
Alex Watts : But the terms of the contract states - if it is when you invoice then you would be liable.
Alex Watts : But the detail of the contract will confirm either way.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything about this for you please? Alex
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.