Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I am looking for some advice, my ex partner walked out on me

Customer Question

I am looking for some advice, my ex partner walked out on me and our 3 month old baby a few months ago and since then has been building a case up with his solicitor against me and threatens me with it all the time, legally am I entitled to know what the solicitor has been told about me?

Alex Watts :

Thank you for requesting me, my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return

Alex Watts :

Please note I am not a family law specialist Solicitor but I am able to deal with your enquiry as asked.

Alex Watts :

Any communication between a client and their lawyer is privileged. This means that any conversations, letters, emails etc that go between the Solicitor and their client can NOT be disclosed.

Alex Watts :

However any matter that does go to Court would need a statement and evidence, at this point you would see what your ex is saying about you and what you are saying about your ex.

Alex Watts :

But what is said to a Solicitor is confidential, after all you would not want to have a deeply personal conversation with your Solicitor only to find out the other side has been told.

Alex Watts :

I hope this answers your question and let me know if I can clarify anything for you please? Alex

JACUSTOMER-vsb4k20e- : Thank you for that, I am worried that he is building up a case against me to take my son away from me or try for fifty percent custody. He has saved alot of text messages from me that have been arguments between us. He does alot of drugs, has been to prison for Gbh and abh, he has another child that he has nothing to do with, if this does go to court would I be able to use any of that against him? Many thanks Kyla
Alex Watts :

Yes, anything that he has in terms of previous, if relevant would be able to be adduced as evidence in Court.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

Please try not to worry about what your ex is or is not telling his solicitor - it is simply not relevant.
The next time he tells you that he is building a case tell him that you will be happy to see him in court
You are the main carer of the child and the fact that you and he argue via text makes no difference to that at all.
Unless you are a bad mother he cannot remove the child from your care - and given his history of drug abuse and violence even Contact anywhere other than a Contact Centre is unlikely
Claire
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.