13262538

My son is the the last grandchild to recieve his inheritance

Customer Question

My son is the the last grandchild to recieve his inheritance on his 18th birthday, last week. The executer is his aunt whom he has never met. Bens dad advised us to contact the solicitor who last dealt with the previous family member several years ago. He said she would be able to transfer it quite simply into his account as the complicated stuff was done years ago. She seemed angry that we contacted him and is now not communicating with him and instesd said her solicitor will be dealing with it all and will be paid bycheque. Was the solicitor right about it being simple and is this woman just being awkward? How long could it take if she does it this way?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Ignoring her mood, I cant see what issue there is with this. Why do you doubt what the solicitor said? When was everyone else paid out?
Yes it is simple and yes she is being difficult - but sadly she is entitled to deal with it via solicitors if she pleases.
It is likely to add a week or two to the process - no more than that.
I suggest that a copy of your sons birth certificate is sent to "her " solicitor.
If you wish to avoid the extra few days of cheque clearance then you can offer to pay for the Bank Transfer - but there seems little point in doing so.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire