Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Facts : I am going to start full time Postgraduate study

Customer Question

Facts :
I am going to start full time Postgraduate study (masters ) , I am working as self employed at the moment .
1) As "postgraduate" I am not entitled to "student finance " ... and therefore I will work to support my studies .
2) At the moment I am taking housing benefits..... as I have 3 kids as well.
Questions ?
1) Is it legal not to mention to council that I have started Full time studies as I will be working as well.
2) well it effect my "child benefit" , "working tax" or other benefit.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

You must declare to the Council that you are taking full time education, as this may be considered a change in circumstances.

Alex Watts :

If you are a student in full-time higher education (degree level or equivalent), you cannot usually claim Housing Benefit. However, you can claim it if you are studying part-time.

Alex Watts :

So yes, it would be illegal not to declare this change in circumstance to the Council.

Alex Watts :

Child benefit it will not affect at all as this is child related.

Alex Watts :

As for Working Tax credit, you are entitled to this if you work over 30 hours a week. If you are not working over 30 hours a week, then you must declare this as a change.

Alex Watts :

Again if you do not it would be illegal as you would be claiming a benefit to which you are not entitled.

Alex Watts :

The good news is though in terms of Council Tax you would get a 100% exemption because you are a full time student.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this for you today please? Alex

Alex Watts :

I realise this may not be the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to give you honest advice.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.