75100385

Hi, its about consumer law I think. Im going to be selling

Customer Question

Hi, its about consumer law I think. I'm going to be selling a heavy duty bathroom rack with a novel wall fixing for tiled surfaces. I want to put a sticker on the box saying that we're so confident the wall fixing will work we'll pay "We know it works. Up to £10,000 compensation if we're wrong". The instructions leaflet will be precise and say that it must only be used and installed in accordance with our instructions and will specify maximum weights etc. I think its a good sales idea and have had the stickers printed but my partner (now !) thinks that we will be committing a crime because people might think that their right to claim under sales law is limited to £10000 and its a crime to mislead a consumer like that ? Can I do it without worrying or do I need to add any further words on another sticker and (if so) what ? :)

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

In law you can limit damages if you wish and exclude things, but one thing you can not exclude is negligence resulting in personal injury.

Alex Watts :

But just because you say you will pay up to £10,000 does NOT make it illegal in any way.

Alex Watts :

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be as described, of suitable quality and fit for purpose.

Alex Watts :

If they are not a consumer can bring a claim. They would have to show that they have suffered loss and damage as a result.

Alex Watts :

But the sticker is not misleading and you really should not worry.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please? Alex