12826847

Is it law that a guest would have to fill out a registration

Customer Question

Is it law that a guest would have to fill out a registration form at a hotel, when all their information is on the computer system?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the manager of a hotel that has just been sold to another operator by Travelodge.

At Travelodge, there are no registration forms, all of their information is held on the computer system, although the receptionist does not have access to their full credit card information, the guest is just checked in on the system and that is it.

The new operator has said that it is a legal requirement that we have to fill out a registration card for all guests, which they must sign on arrival, although, all of their information is on the computer system, although this is not done at a company the size of Travelodge.

If it is the case that registration documents have to be completed, how long do they have to be kept for?

No, there's no law requiring you to do that per se.

I can see it might be desirable to do that to protect yourself from allegations that a fraudulent card was used etc.

If you ask them under what legislation they think it is compulsory then I can have a look at it and maybe offer more but I suspect they are confusing a legal requirement with an evidential convenience. It might well be helpful to get them to fill out such a document but you don't commit an offence if you don't.

Normally though, you need to keep documents for 6 years as thats the normal period of limitation in the UK. There are some exceptions but not many.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help,

I thought that was the case, but I think it is always best to be sure, especially when it can effect the legality of how you are trading.

Thank you again

Paul

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.