Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

me and my dad live in a council house but 2 years ago my mom

Customer Question

me and my dad live in a council house but 2 years ago my mom was the tenant but she died and it was pass to my dad but i am his son and i want to buy the house but i cannot because my dad the tenant but i have ask the council to take his name off and put my name on so the banks will lend me the money but they said they cannott do that his there any way round this i hope you can help
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

As your Dad succeeded to the Tenancy from your Mom, I am afraid that he is not now entitled to transfer the Tenancy to you or ask that your name be added to the Tenancy agreement.

You are therefore stuck with your wish to purchase the property. As it is, only your Dad is entitled to buy the house. If he can not get a Mortgage on his finances, the only thing you could try and do is see if your Dad can obtain a Mortgage with you standing as Guarantor (ie you become liable for the Mortgage payments if your Dad does not pay).

I can't guarantee you will be successful with this but it is worth enquiring!

I hope this answers your question, and if so, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL