13262538

my husband and I have just split up, this has just come from

Customer Question

my husband and I have just split up, this has just come from nowhere ,he,s runs his own business which I am a parter I have had nothing to with the everyday running of the business so I,m don,t know much about it . I gave up my home to my daughter and her partner to run as there own as they had nowhere to stay together and they have a newborn so im findind it hard to ask for my home back it is a rented property not owned. I also gave up my job to move from Hampshire to Wiltshire to be with my husband and to support him ,it was all going well until a few months ago when I noticed a change in my husbands behaviour , but he was telling me and family that it was due to stress ,he has giving e some money to keep me going and is going to carry on giving me some each month, I arranged to go and see the books for the buissness but he had taken them to a bookkeeper so I couln,t see anything to do with all the figures . I like to know what my options are iv,e talked to him about coming out of the business and getting a divorce but we just round in circles he just seems to bring me round to his way, saying theres no money and if I come out of the business I would be liable for half of any debts that are left ,so I,m am stuck as to what to do, as I do not have any savings ,all I have is a thousand pounds that he,s given me and he,s going to pay my rent to my daughter which is two hundred pounds a month plus a couple of direct debits , and is going to give me 300 pounds a month, I asked and asked to do all his paperwork to take pressure off him but I was never allowed to ,now he,s getting a little bit nasty because I been asking questions about the fineanchle side of things . he,s taken all my confidence away from me ,in a way he has controlled and I could not see this until now.i need help to try and move on please can you advise me
Thank you for your question
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first
How long have you lived together and who owns the matrimonial home?
What is the nature of the business that you have set up together?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have been together since we were 15 yrs old , we have split up any times through the years and have different parnters, but it always seemed to as soon as i was settled he would turn up and talk me into making another go at thing which i always did, we got married in January 1999 and we were very happy up until now, before we got married i had my niece living with me she was 16 at the time and up and left me 9 month pregnant but we got through that yet again and moved on . the reason i think he is having an affair is all the signs are like they were then and he is denying this which he did right til the end as before. the house back in Hampshire is a rented property with testway housing which is both our names. the property in Wiltshire is a private rent and tenacy is in three names which is my husbands myself and my son ,as my son is one of the main workers for him, we also have my 3 year old granddaughter living with us due the split of my son and his partner,because she was ill treated and the plan was for me to look after her while the men were working ,my granddaughter has put a lot of pressure on us as she has problems, we were just starting to sort her out getting her into preschool , and now she,s all unsettled as she,s been moved around yet again. before we moved into yhe property in Wiltshire we were staying in a caravan which had no proper washing facilities or toilets but i was prepared to put up with this as it was for my marriage and to be with my husband ,as prior to this i stayed at home in Hampshire and worked, but was away from my husband for long periods of time, so i gave up everything to move and be with him as my marriage meant everything to me and still does although i don,t think theres any going back now that's on his paet. the buissness is agricultural contractors.

What savings and assets are there?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don,t know any of this as I told you I had no hand dealings with any of it,and when I asked to see the bank statements and paperwork he had taken them to a bookkeeper, the assets are 3 tractors that on ire purchase 1 hedgetrimmer 2 pickup trucks that are all on hire purchase, he,s told me he,s thinking of selling 2 tractors , and then when he needs the tractors for work he will hire 2 tractors, which means during the winter when theres not much work on he won,t be paying out money that he doesn,t need to, he,s telling me there is no savings but he does everything on line so I really don,t know if there is any.

Hi Susan
How old are you and can you get another job if you move back?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I,m 51 and I will have to look for another job if I can find one

What is your best guess as to what income he has?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know he ears 4000plus vat a month for one job that he has managing the lorries for the company he contracts for, then theres the spreading sie of it which he could earn up to 40 000 plus then theres stock pileling and tractor and driver hire which he could earn around 6to 7 000 a month but this does vary sometimes depending how far they have to travel he also does other jobs like hedge trimming which could earn aroud 2000 I hope this helps but its all I can come up with.

bearing in mind sreading only happens once or twice a year and last for about 2 to 3 month depending on the tonnage and if the weather is good.

What has happened to the money earned over the years?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just don't know as I cant get to anything this is why I need advice he has had repairs to the tractors which are quite expensive and he does have a really big bill due soon he had to have a new engine in one of the tractors but at the moment there tring to sort out a price he told me he it ws 2ooo but I think its being negotiated and he may get 40 per cent off. also is this advice going to cost me more than the 33 pounds that I have paid cos I,m getting worried it,s going to cost me more and I haven,t got much money

Hi Susan
Do not worry - all this is covered by what you have already agreed.
Are you willing to start Divorce Proceedings?
Claire
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure because I don,t know how it all works and I don,t have any money to pay for anything, but if I was to go foe divorce where do I stand where the business is concered because he,s telling me,that if I come out of the business and there debt I would be liable to pay half and I haven,t got the money to that

Hi Susan
No you would not have to pay off the debts if you pull out of the partnership.
You know so little about the finances that it is hard to assess what you may be entitled to as there is no way of knowing what assets there actually are.
However if you start divorce proceedings based on his Unreasonable Behaviour you can apply to the Court to deal with the Financial issues and the court can force him to disclose the true financial position.
If you do not wish to take that step yet then you can try and discuss matters with your ex using Family Mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) to try and resolve things
I hope that this is of assistance please ask if you need further details
Claire