How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31300
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Ive separated from my partner of 9 years. We have 2 children

Customer Question

I've separated from my partner of 9 years. We have 2 children aged 5 and 7 who remain in the family home with their mother. I left the home 3 months ago as the relationship with my ex had become intolerable. I have two questions;

1. What acces can I expect to have to my children? We had agreed that I should see them exery other weekend, but my ex is making changes to this without consultation and at short notice.

2. The family home (jointly owned, with me paying all the bills) has a completely seperate annex (previously used as a holiday let). Is it reasonable for me to be able to live in the annex so I am close to my children?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question
My name is Claire and I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact have you actually had in the last three months
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Claire,

I've had regular contact with the children over the past 3 months, seeing them typically every other weekend (with the exception of when they were on holiday with their mum). I've asked a number of times to see the children more regularly, but have been told that this isn't realistic, and in fact have been told that for the next two weekends I'm due to have them that I can only do so for one night.

The property is worth approximately £750k with £530k mortgage outstanding. I have an overdraft (as a result of trying to fund my own accommodation plus paying bills for the family home) of around £4000. I don't know whether my ex has any debt, but suspect the has some outstanding credit cards, perhaps another £5000. There are no other shared assets.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
How much would a three bedroom property in the same general area cost?
Are you able to have the children overnight - and would it be realistic for you to have mid week contact?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice