12826847

I have a joint tenancy with 3 other people. Three of us pay

Customer Question

I have a joint tenancy with 3 other people. Three of us pay our rent to the 4th tenant who then transfers it to the landlord. This bank account is under the 4th tenants name but is used as a house account. This account pays for rent, bills and household items. I strongly suspect foul play on the part of the 4th tenant (the tenant whose bank account it is). Is there any case in law for me to demand statements for the duration of the tenancy, considering the other tenants and I have paid into this account for almost two years and it is used as a house account?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

What evidence do you have of foul play?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The person in question is hugely reluctant to provide any information and I have received snippets of a bank statement (2 separate ones) in which withdrawals are unaccounted for. I don't know if this matters, but the house situation between the joint tenants is untenable as there have been considerable disagreements. In addition to this, each tenant pays 100 pounds into the 4th tenants account in addition to the rent- for the bills. There is also a sub-tenant living in the property who also pays 100 pounds extra for bills. This means that 500 pounds are added to the account monthly simply for bills and expenses. No money us ever left over and on a few occasion tenant 4 has asked for extra. This is all the evidence/reasons I have.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
I need an answer asa please