75100385

I am being constantly asked for money from a company in Harrow

Customer Question

I am being constantly asked for money from a company in Harrow called Business & Tax Strategies Ltd in Harrow, who say they have money sitting in an escrow account with our name on it. The monies paid out in earlier years to companies relating to the timeshare industry. To date this company have asked us to purchase UKash vouchers at £200 a time but now I think we are being conned, please can someone talk to me. I am 73 years of age and not familiar with the law.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Are you looking to get your money back, or just prevent any future payments?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are asking for another £400 today. I do not have any money and I have had to borrow the money that I keep sending them because they have told me there is £17,000 they will send out to me tomorrow but they have been promising this for 3 weeks now.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I think you are being conned but I have no guarantee as I have no experience of this.

My immediate thought is to go to the police. I will however opt out for another expert to consider who may have come across this before.

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

I see the other expert has opted out - do you still need help?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alex W

I keep sending responses but am not sure who they are going to, who will have received the one I just posted?

It is me now answering this. On what basis are they saying you need to purchase vouchers to get this money?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are telling me the monies have been in a variety of banks around the world in order to avoid British Tax payment. The last bank being in Morocco who are requesting payment to release the money although it is in an escrow account?

That would be money laundering and tax evasion of course so I would take that with a pinch of salt. If the money truly is in an Escrow account you should seek have evidence of that. Further even if there was money in the Escrow account then they would be able to deduct any purported fees from this.

I have to say asking you to pay for something in advance for which you have no evidence that it exists sounds like a scam. They do not sound genuine and this is something you should report to the Police without delay. I assume they have either asked you to pay cash, Western Union or Moneygram etc? If so this is the hallmark of a scam. Please see the following from the Met Police:

http://content.met.police.uk/Site/fraudalert

I am sorry this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest with you.

I trust that this resolves your question, if so I would be grateful if you could take a moment and rate the service I have given you, which I hope has been excellent, as it is an important part of the process. If you need more help or information then please click reply. Alex