75100385

I live in a housing association property and receive higher

Customer Question

I live in a housing association property and receive higher rate disability allowance for mobility. There is a wall in my living room that needs to be re-plastered as there is some subsidence and there is a long crack along the wall. The housing association have offered to re -plaster the wall but will only paint that one wall following the re-plastering - they said they are doing this as " a good will gesture"!. I have argued that the whole room should be decorated as I do not want one different coloured wall. They have refused to do this saying it is not their responsibility. They are aware I have DLA and that I am unable to do the decorating myself. I even offered to pay for the materials but they have still refused. I would be grateful if you could tell me my rights in this matter.
Thank you for your time.
Best Wishes
Gae Edwards

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : On what basis have they refused?
JACUSTOMER-4iokahma- :

That it is the tenants responsibility for internal decoration

Alex Watts : But do not they accept the structural problems are theirs?