Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I agreed with my mortgage lender for them to also arrange house

Customer Question

I agreed with my mortgage lender for them to also arrange house insurance for a property. We then sold that house and bought another, we stayed with the same mortgage lender and arrangement for the house insurance. Several months later I realised that I was still paying for house insurance for the first property that we no longer owned as well as another policy for the new house. I cancelled the direct debit for the first policy and was asked by the insurance company (a third party) to send proof of sale of the first house to satisfy thier records that the house was no longer owned by us. Although there is some oversight on my part having not cancelled the first policy sooner, the mortgage lender knew the house and been sold and had made the insurance arrangements. Am I entitiled to a refund on the money I spent on the house insurance policy for the first house after it was sold? Thank you in advance for you help.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your enquiry.

I know it's crazy, but clients are under a duty to cancel their Home insurance arranged through any Mortgage Lender, even though the Lender is aware of any Sale.

Legally, I'm afraid you have no chance of recouping your loss on any paid premiums.

The best you can hope for is if your Lender makes a goodwill gesture and offers some sort of reimbursement, but please don't count on it.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards

AL