12826847

We have been having flooding problems from a 3ft. Culvert that

Customer Question

We have been having flooding problems from a 3ft. Culvert that passes beneath our house from the beginning of July. This was the first we new it was there lived here for over 30years. The council have dredged tons of silt from the culvert gathered as it states over 100's of years. This work has not cured our flooding problem. Council claims that it cannot do more and that we are responsible under Riperian law for the culvert under our property. I do not see how this is so. The culvert runs for at least half a mile taking water from the A1 motorway through the village then 20ft under my house to the road outside and discharges into the beck. I would appreciate any help to clear up my position.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Do you have a specific question please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is my position in respect of this riperian law and what are the councils responsibilities with the flooding
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
I am going to
opt out of this for another expert to consider. Please do not reply or it comes
back into my inbox. Another expert will pick it up at some stage. It is now
open to all experts.