29905560

Can potential employers check whether I have received benefits

Customer Question

Can potential employers check whether I have received benefits (e.g income support/housing) in the past? A potential employer whom I will be contracting with has asked for supporting evidence of receiving benefits if this was the case in the time I was not working during gaps. My gaps of unemployment were only 2 months and another for 3 months when I was injured and I have no evidence that I kept whilst claiming. Is it possible for them to find out whether I was on benefits? (I have been contracting as a limited company for a year and these unemployment gaps were whilst I was a permanent and temporary employee). Is it also normal to ask for this as part of job referencing?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Ben Jones :

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know whether you have any confirmation letters stating that you were in receipt of benefits

JACUSTOMER-rluw3mcl- :

Hi, I have one letter confirming that I would be receiving jobseeker's allowance from the Benefit Centre, and a P45 Jobseekers Allowance form which specifies the date benefits ceased. However, I would be interested to know why this information is deemed as necessary for a company to see whom I am contracting my services to. I have never been asked for such information before regarding job references and employment history.

JACUSTOMER-rluw3mcl- :

I should add that this confirmation was for one brief spell of claiming over a month, but for the other period of 2 months over a 5 year period I do not have any supporting evidence available.