13262538

my brother has been asked to pay arrears of £500 a month to

Customer Question

my brother has been asked to pay arrears of £500 a month to the CSA. He has minus to live on as it is and is now suicidal, we are very worried about him and wonder what we can do
My name is Claire and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How have the arrears arisen and how much does your brother earn each month?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the arrears have arisen through being unable to keep up with payments due to being out of work in the past. His shifts tend to vary but id guess he averages between 1400 and 1700 a month.
When he was out of work did he ask for a re-assessment?
How much are the arrears in total?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
arrears are 2k. Im unsure if he asked for a reassessment but the csa were kept up to date with his employment situation
How much is the ongoing assessment?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im unsure what you mean but after he's paid off the arrears his payments go down to 167 a month
Thank you that is exactly what I meant.
I am afraid that I have mixed news for you.
The CSA are in fact entitled to deduct up to 40% of earned income whilst there are arrears in place so unless money can be found to pay them off this cannot be challenged.
HOWEVER from all that you have said it seems at least possible that the figures are incorrect and need to be re-assessed.
He needs to appeal the amount outstanding immediately and ask for the collections to be be suspended whilst it is investigated
He can get help from this group
http://www.nacsa.co.uk/
I hope that this is of some assistance - please ask if you need further details
Claire