How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70105
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We should be on our way to Spain, but we are not because our

Customer Question

We should be on our way to Spain, but we are not because our neighbour of 6 years have breach the now none existed contract.

Our neighbour Mr Khan came and begged us to let him rent our property for a period of 6 month Following the sale of his house. We turn down 2 very good potential tenants in favour of helping our friend. Due to our rush to remove our goods, we gave him a signed contract and asked him to give us a copy the day before both our big move.

On the day of our move out of the house, Mr khan move his items into our house. We left him in the house and place our goods in the storage company. We returned to get the contract and monies, and he refused to pay the deposit and hand us a copy of the contract.

We are now extremely worried as he refuse to pay the bills, water, gas and council tax stating we have no copy of the contract.

the major problem; we should be in Spain signing our contract, but we cannot move because he have our cats and may sell our furnishing along with his own. He claims he intend to move to Pakistan in 3 weeks therefore he can do has he please.

What should we do to protect our cats and furnishing.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Is this an assured shorthold tenancy please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For Jo C.

Hi Jo,

This would have been an assured short hold tenancy.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Is he living in this house now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, mr khan is currently living in the house.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I cannot give you any good news really. Ultimately this is an AST and even though he is undeserving of the protection of the law, he is a tenant nonetheless.

Normally you would issue a S21 and S8 notice bringing the tenancy to an end and seeking a possession order. I'm not sure its worth it though if he's leaving in 3 weeks anyway.

You could always serve a S8 notice citing grounds 10 and 11 which cover rent arrears. Also you could rely on ground 15 which covers deterioration of the property because of his neglect of the furniture.

A S8 notice requires 14 days before you can act at court.

Also, if he does remove anything you could report the matter to the police as that is just simple theft.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice