31090051

How can I find out if a tradesman has a charge on my swiss

Customer Question

How can I find out if a tradesman has a charge on my swiss chalet?  I am a uk national and it is a holiday home.  The builder left much work undone and tried to charge me first 30 000 and then agreed he was mistaken and then another 35 000 for extras he said I had.  He changed all the amounts he had orginally quoted, didn't finish the work and ultimately we on the estate had to club together to get some of the road works done to satisfy the council  Still, the council said that some parts of the chalet didn't confirm to building regs and i have had jto put them right.  He pushed for the money for a long time and I initially said that if he completed all the work we could negotiate.  He said he wanted more money to complete the work, I refused.  That was 4 years go.  I  have not herd from him for nearly two and at that time I told him that there was no way he was having any more money as he had not completed the chalet and made a mess of the garage for car entry etc.  He fell out with nearly everyone on the estate - didn't do the work he had promised.  I had forgotten about it all, but now I am about to sell the chalet and am worried that he might have put a charge on the property without my knowing.  I don't want to disclose any squabbles from 4 years ago unless there is a legal reason that I have to.

Sorry it's all so long, but its been a bit of a nightmare.

Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.

You can ask the solicitor you intend to use for the sale to do a search on the property and you. That has to be done as part of the conveyancing process anyway.