12826847

If someone says that they are a qualified barrister but they

Customer Question

If someone says that they are a qualified barrister but they are not on the barrister register and it appears that they've said that as a mere bluff, is this illegal by any chance?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In a nutshell, it depends whats been said or done.

There isn't an offence of impersonating a barrister per se.

If a person has gone to court and appeared without rights of audience under false pretences then that is certainly an offence.

If its just that somebody, for example, at a dinner party has made this statement to appear more important than they are then that is not an offence.

However, you are right - there should be a record of them at the Bar Council. If there is not then they are not qualified.

Can I help further?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Where can I double check whether he is qualified at all?

Call the Bar Council on 0207 242 0082 and ask for records.

You might be too late to do it tonight. They are not public sector workers but they behave as though they will turn into a pumpkin if they have to work after 5pm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is the Bar register already trustable?

Not sure what you mean?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/regulatory-requirements/the-barristers'-register/

Oh, not particularly.

I actually get a dead link when I go there but, as with all technology, it doesn't take into account misspellings etc.

The records office should have a note of him though.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have called and he is not a qualified barrister.

In this sense, I have actually been trying to make a claim against this company for their breach of contract, misrepresentation of facts and also issues such as manipulation of their power. He came to me and obviously bluffed the fact that he's a qualified barrister to essentially make me shut up and go away.

Could I take action on this?

It depends what he has done.

Did the Bar Council say whether he is in employed practice? Or maybe just done the bar course.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is not in employed practice at all. There is no one of his name on the council's register.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I was trying to make a claim against the company in a breach of contract and more then he just screams out the fact that he's a qualified bar to make me shut up and go away with his bluff. that's all

You could report him to the Bar Council. That wouldn't be a bad start.

I suppose you could argue its a misrepresentation within the meaning of contract but you haven't really relied upon it.

Its more professional misconduct than anything else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But what might the bar council do

It depends.

He might have done Bar exams and not completed pupillage. If so, he could be disciplined.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I shall contact the bar council then.

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’.