12826847

My 35 year old son was arrested in his home this morning. His

Customer Question

My 35 year old son was arrested in his home this morning. His wife can get no details from the Police about when he may be released or otherwise. She is recovering from breast cancer treatment and not well and has 2 children aged 6 and 3. They have told her what he's being held for but she won't tell me (she's embarrassed) Surely they have to give her some peace of mind instead of stonewalling her all day?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

I'm afraid they do not have to give her any information at all. PACE did set down that the detained person has the right to have somebody informed of their arrest but it doesn't give any rights at all to the relatives.

Unless this is a very serious offence though they probably have 24 hours to charge or release him. If he was picked up this morning then he will probably be released at some point before tomorrow morning at the same time or placed before the local Magistrates Court tomorrow because they have charged and refused bail.

He will be allowed to call her with that information though. There are some circumstances where the police can refuse to let suspects make calls but not often.

The other thing she could do is speak to his solicitor about his situation. The solicitor will need to get permission from him to speak to her but its not usually refused.