12826847

i did not pay window installers full amount as they had missed

Customer Question

i did not pay window installers full amount as they had missed a couple of things off but now they have taken me to county court, am i right to do this.

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How much do you owe them please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for Jo C.

Hi, it was £610, but with charges etc it is now £800.72. They have also put a temporary charging order on the property and i have taken out a "set aside action". Basically they did not fit an additional security lock on the front door that is clearly on the order form and there is a part of another window that needs repairing. All i want to know is, am i right to withold payment until they fit the missing lock, repair window frame.

G.Swift.

In principe you are right but there may be a difficulty here.

Clearly there were faults. You are entitled to withhold the exact sum that it would cost to put right a fault but the faults you describe are not likely to amount to £600 I'm afraid.

They might not get away with charging this amount of costs though. For a claim of £600 it would normally be about £50 - £100.

Also you might well get the court to recognise that some reduction was appropriate in the circumstances as there were faults.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.