How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70118
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We have lived in this estate in north London for almost 28

Customer Question

We have lived in this estate in north London for almost 28 years, in this time My wife has suffered at the hands of a neighbour for 15years+in this time She has been physically and verbally attacked on any occasions by himself and more recently his son,we recently went to court to get some kind of redress ?(protection),but my wife got frightened and left the court, consequently the case was dismissed, but the harassment has increased, last night we had a police officer visit us to tell us we should think about moving out of the area, as he believes that the neighbour will not stop, violence has been used in the past, and will in all probability be used again, we are both frightened, we are pensioners and do not want to pack up and leave after all this time. The man who is doing this has screamed out in the street that I am a paedophile and threatened me with death, all of this has been reported to the police many times to no avail, we cannot afford to move, nor do we want to, what can we do? any advice would be very welcome, we are at out wits end, and my wife is close to breaking point. Yours Hopefully James P. XXXXXXXXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What action have the police taken please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"For Joe C"

Except for him being arrested on Jan 1 this year For abusive and threating

behaviour for which he appeared in court on Sept 23rd after being postponed twice. My wife was very scared on the day and the case was dismissed. He was arrested for breaking his bail conditions at least once

but that was dismissed as well.

He was also arrested for racially abusing me on July of last year and although I had at least one witness the police did not talk to her.

I was then informed by the police that the CPS did not think it worth

going to court.

We live in housing association property and many people have left

(some without taking their property) because of this same person


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

What would you like to know about this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"For Jo C"

The housing association are very unhelpful, we have Doctors letters

as to the state of our health due to stress and aggravation this man has caused us since he moved in the estate. Over the years we have contacted our

local MP to no avail. We wish to know what avenues are open to us

legally to stop this person bullying and threatening us.

The police have advised us that they are powerless to stop him.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure I can tell you anything you don't already know really.

His misconduct can be reported to the police and they will prosecute if they find evidence sufficient to convict. Obviously though to do that you do need to give evidence .

Similarly the housing association will act if you give them truthful accounts of his conduct and be willing to support it.

Suppose you could also consider a private action against him in nuisance. That is about the only thing you haven't already tried really but I wouldn't advise that lightly. There is cost in that and the police and the association are free.

Alternatively you could consider a private action against him in harassment but the is cost in that as well and the police should deal with harassment for free. I realise they have not acted in the past but that doesn't mean they never will.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"For Jo C"

It seems that we are at the mercy of this individual and the police

admit that they are powerless to stop him unless we provide evidence.

What ever happened to crime prevention?

Thank you for your help.




Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
I'm afraid they need people to attend court to give evidence to take any action.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice