Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

I have a Tennant in who is using the building as a massage

Customer Question

I have a Tennant in who is using the building as a massage parlour is this illegal and should I kick them out?

Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Sorry for the delay overnight.

Is this really a massage parlour or is it more sinister than that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For joe c
Hi personally I'm guessing its probably more sinister. If so can I get on to trouble for it,even though I have let the premises? What is the law on these types of business etc
Well, it depends.

If this is a normal AST then you can seek a possession order on the basis that she is using it to run a business of any kind as an AST is for residential purposes.

If its a 'massage parlour' that is really selling sex then you can seek a possession order on that basis of grounds 12 (breach of the agreement), grounds 14 (causing nuisance), and grounds 17 (false information to obtain the tenancy) - but then you have the problem of proving the immoral activity which adds an extra hurdle to overcome.

You are free to let them stay if you choose. Unless there is some evidence that you knew of an immoral activity then that would be no case against you. If its just that she is selling sex from her own address then that is not unlawful. Its when people are keeping other ladies at that address and selling their sexual services that the offences are committed. There isn't a law against paying for sex per se.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.