75100385

I want to know if there is anything I can do about the Building

Customer Question

I want to know if there is anything I can do about the Building work that is being carried out facing my house. They have damaged my brick wall, have had me woken up at 6am, as well as other things that has happened and I am now suffering Stress over this. I have written to them but no one has replyed plus have phoned with no responce. I don t know what sort of Soliciotor I would need.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Have you complained to them or the Council yet? In terms of cost of damage, do you know how much to repair please?

Alex Watts :

Note given the hour it may be the morning when I reply.

JACUSTOMER-motvxbpe- :

Not sure of the cost as it is only 2 bricks but it is getting the right one as the wall has been built for a long time now over 20 years Yes have complained to them that is why they have not got in touch from last letter told them in that that I would be contacting Legal people.

JACUSTOMER-motvxbpe- :

Not only this when the Lady came to Groom my dog she parks outside of the House and works in the Van 2 workmen came over and started banging on the van window. I was just grateful Gilly (The Dog Groomer ) had anything sharp at the time and there was no damage to my dog but then she was panicking so that she could move for them. The Building should be finished by now and we are having to put up with them working on a Saturday Morning as well which has been happening for some time now.

Alex Watts : You could complain to the Police about the banging on the van but they may consider this just to be a neighbour dispute. You can also complain to the council about the noise.
Alex Watts : What you can not do is stop the work as they have a right to fix a building, but there are time limits as to when they can do this.
Alex Watts : The Control of Pollution Act 1974 allows the council to set times during which works can be carried out and the methods of work to be used.
Alex Watts : Monday to Friday – 8am to 6pmSaturday – 8am to 1pmSunday and Public Holidays – no working
Alex Watts : Outside of this time is unreasonable and you should complain to the council as they could prosecute.
Alex Watts : In any event it would also be open to you to seek an injunction, not stopping the work but limiting it to the times above and if they breach this court injunction they could be sent to prison for breach of a court order, or fined, or told off by a judge.
Alex Watts : In any event if there is damage done to your property then they are liable for that cost of putting right.
Alex Watts : But speak to the council first as they may be able to help and stop the work going on outside these times.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about your question today? If not, can I invite you to rate my service which I hope has been excellent. If you need more help then please click reply. Thanks - Alex
If I could invite you to rate my service before you leave today, hopefully it has been excellent. If you do need more help or information please click reply. Thanks – Alex.