13262538

can my sister who is not lawyer represent me in family custody

Customer Question

can my sister who is not lawyer represent me in family custody court custody case
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case.

It is with pleasure to try to assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Can you please give me more information?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this is a contact case where mother is trying to withhold contact from father . Have used solicitor and barrister but this is getting too expensive and need to know if sister with no legal qualifications can represent father in court for interim and final hearing This is urgent and need reply asap Thankyou

My name is Clare and I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
I am afraid that your sister cannot represent you as such - only a solicitor or barrister can do that.
She can however attend the hearing with you as a "McKenzie Friend"
She can take notes and prepare paperwork for you - what she cannot do is speak on your behalf or cross examine any witnesses
You can read more here
http://www.nelsonslaw.co.uk/site/library/legalnews/helping_out_in_court_the_mckenzie_friend.html
and here
http://www.familylawweek.co.uk/site.aspx?i=ed1568
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further information