29905560

I have signed 1 contract in 9 years of working with the same

Customer Question

I have signed 1 contract in 9 years of working with the same company. The original contract was switched to a new compnay owned by the same people after the previous business was put into liquidation. This was done without my knowledge.

However the problem I am having right now is that they have presented me with a sheet of paper headlined 'Instructions for Staff' outlining a list of do's and dont's, and have ask me to sign it. There is no date on the sheet, and no counter signature. The wording and grammar on the sheet is very poor. Am I under obligation to sign this, and if I dont where will I stand?

Ben Jones :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Why do you not agree with these instructions?

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

they are already in my contract

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

no counter signature

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

no date

Ben Jones :

You cannot be forced to sign these but you have to consider why you do not wish to do this. If they are already in your contract then these will be covered under contract law and strictly speaking they will already apply to your employment relationship. No counter signature is needed and you can date your signature of necessary so that you identify a date. I suppose the worst they can do is discipine you for failing to follow a reasonable instruction but it should not result in anything more than a warning, dismissal would be too harsh and an unreasonable action in the circumstances

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

so basically a reasonable instruction includes being forced to sign something?

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

now we all know the law is on the side of the employer and that is why so many employees rights are disregarded and employees are used

Ben Jones :

well it is already in your contract so you already agree to all of these instructions

Ben Jones :

is that not the case?

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

exactly, so why force someone to sign a piece of paper stating exactly the same thing

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

unless it is down to a petty power play

Ben Jones :

it could be an administrative requirement, for example if following the transfer the employer does not have all contracts to hand and they wish to ensure that the employees are aware of of these instructions and that they have written evidence that they this is still the case. So as this is nothing new I do not see as an unreasonable request just to sign it - they are not trying to change your contract or force you to do things which are new

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

well the transfer happened about 5 years ago

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

and they never told anyone about it

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

so do you work en extra 30 mins a day, and expect not to get paid?

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

or do you expect to get paid for the entire time you work?

Ben Jones :

I work a number of additional hours every day for no extra pay and do not expect to get paid for them, but that is the way the legal industry works.

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

what do you mean by extra pay?

JACUSTOMER-s98p237f- :

well thats fine because your advice is hopeless and you wont be getting paid for this, thank god there are still workers unions about, otherwise we would all let employers walk all over us

Ben Jones :

yes very good, goodye